Use of conveyor belt systems is often perceived as a ‘necessary evil’ in the industries. The prime reason being, conveyors optimize operations on multiple levels, but at the same time such motor-driven systems utilize up to 50% of your facility’s power.
Industries today, across the world are increasingly designing their operations for energy efficiency. Since conveyors consume a major chunk of the overall facility’s power, they are one of the first targets for reducing energy usage and eventually the associated energy costs.
This article lists 5 smart ways which can help you reduce energy costs incurred by conveyor belt systems. They are as follows:
- Switch Off when Not in Use Make it an operational rule to switch off the conveyor belt system when not in use. You need to take into account the nature of operations which are carried out with the help of conveyors. While continuously switching the system on and off might not be feasible for some types of processes, it can certainly be practiced for a majority of varied processes. Switching on the systems only when required will help you cut back lot of unnecessary energy expenses.
- Carry out Periodic Maintenance Poorly maintained conveyor systems not only results in early wear and tear but also spikes the power consumption, eventually leading to an increase in the energy bills. Besides, negligence towards proper maintenance also means frequent breakdown which requires investment of time, energy and efforts to troubleshoot conveyor belt. For any system such as conveyors which uses reducers, chains, bearings, etc., to be energy efficient, appropriate lubrication and smooth functioning of parts is a prerequisite. Hence, always ensure that your conveyor system is well-maintained and periodically serviced, so that it doesn’t eat up more energy than is necessary.
- Replace Old Conveyors with New If your facility uses old conveyors, they will drain more energy and pump up the overall energy costs. A smart decision in such situation would be to replace old conveyor belt systems with new models which are designed to be more energy efficient as compared to their old counterparts. Besides, most of the new models provide buyers substantial ROI in terms of energy savings. So they are a worthy investment if your old conveyor systems are robbing you of energy and related cost savings.
- Customize with Energy Savings at CoreYou can also customize your conveyor belt systems to reduce their energy consumption and hence bring down the related energy costs. This can be done in the following ways:
- Decrease the number of drives by using long and straight runs in the system
- See if you can power the whole conveyor system with a single drive
- Employ speed reducers
- Hire a systems integrator to assess and identify your requirements. Based on your needs, these professionals will design or customize a conveyor system which will cut down the energy costs with the help of highly efficient equipment
- Reduce Friction This is one of the most important criteria to keep in mind if you want to reduce energy related costs. Material handling or weight of products causes friction on the conveyor lines. The greater the friction on the conveyor belt caused by either of these reasons, the more energy your conveyor system will consume. This eventually results in a hike in your overall energy bills. So work towards reducing the friction on these systems.All of these ways can be easily incorporated within most types of conveyor belts. Facilities can also employ other techniques such as drives and systems which are specifically designed to optimize production when energy prices are the lowest, and utilize high-efficiency motors.
To understand more about the relation between energy savings and conveyor belt systems, and to get the best possible conveyor system solutions for your facility, get in touch with our team of experts at Compactor Management Company today.