Are you thinking of getting a conveyor belt installed in your company?
If yes then that’s a fantastic idea as conveyor belts have revolutionized the commercial industry and many other industries. Moreover conveyor belt play an important role in boosting industrial production efficiency. Conveyor belts can be found most anywhere from factories to airports and supermarkets all over the world and are used to transport both people and goods from one place to the other with ease.
So How Do Conveyor Belts Work?
The Basics of a Conveyor Belt: A conveyor belt is simply a large wide belt which is fixed onto the conveyor rollers in a loop shape. This loop is connected to several rotors which are powered by motors. The looped part of the machine is known as the conveyor belt and is usually made up of a couple of layers of rubber. The first layer provides the belt with its structure and the second layer provides the traction and transportation of the goods. The belt is normally fixed with two or more wheels which are known as rotors.
The Movement of a Conveyor Belt: A conveyor belt turns as the rotor turns due to the amount of friction between the belt and the rotor wheel. This turning motion of the rotor causes one side of the belt to move in a single direction while the other wheel moves in the same direction as well.
Transportation Along a Conveyor: Conveyor belts are mostly used to transport raw materials or products with the use of friction or mounts that hold the belt in place as it moves the products which stay in one place on the conveyor belt. There are a lot of twists and turns on the conveyors which can easily be covered by cone-shaped wheels or rotors which allow the conveyor to turn.
Uses of Conveyor Belts
Conveyor belts are generally used to transport heavy materials and bulky materials. Their versatility makes them the perfect match for packing and inspection needs. Conveyor belts are also used to load and unload luggage at most if not all airports. They are also used in elevators, mining sites, construction companies and escalators all over the world.
4 Factors You Should Consider When Choosing the Right Conveyor for Your Business
- Safety: Safety is the first factor that you should consider when you buy a conveyor. Conveyors carry soft materials that are not all harmful but they do carry heavy items which can be harmful as well. These kinds of hazards make safety an important factor for your employees who operate the conveyor belt and work around it. Your conveyor system should also have an automatic shutdown system which is triggered, as well as indicators that set off visual and audial alarms, in case something goes wrong. Also following some safety practices will help reduce conveyor belts related safety risks.
- Ease of Maintenance: A conveyor has almost as many moving parts as the materials that it carries. The conveyor also tends to move the materials in a different direction, across different levels so there are lots of chances and room for things to break down. If your conveyor system fails then it will probably make your whole company grind to a halt.
This makes it all the more important for you to conduct timely maintenance and repairs. But make sure that every single component that goes into the upkeep of your conveyor is certified by corresponding regulatory companies. Your conveyor should be able to run for long periods of time without requiring any constant attention or supervision.
- Energy Consumption: The two main costs associated with all types of machinery are their energy consumption and maintenance. If you have already understood the maintenance part, then it is best to find a conveyor that is more energy efficient as well. Ask your supplier or manufacturer about energy consumption for a specified duration such as “per hour consumption”.
- Modularity: Modularity is another factor that you should bear in mind when shopping for a conveyor. Modularity allows you to reconfigure your conveyor according to your needs since the operating conditions and the amount of space in your office may change in the future.
Having modularity with your conveyor is helpful as it allows you to modify it as well as adding parts to it.
3 Types of Conveyor Belts
- Roller bed conveyors
- Brake belt conveyors
- Chain type conveyors
Conveyor belts are classified according to their structural composition and use. Modern conveyor belts come in different shapes and sizes, depending on their intended applications and can also be fixed or portable.
4 Benefits of Conveyor Belts to Your Company
- They can transport a wide variety of materials which can be of a large, coarse or fine variety.
- They can be used for single direction movement as well as multi-directional movement and can either be inclined vertically or horizontally. They are designed to ensure that the material they are transporting does not drop off.
- Conveyor belts need less power to function than other modes of transportation
- Conveyor belts can be custom-made according to your specific needs and requirements
Get in touch with our conveyor belt experts at Compactor Management Company for further assistance on choosing the right conveyor belt for your company today!