Site icon Compactor Management Company

Benefits of Recycling – The Positive Effect on the Environment

positive effects of recycling

There are many benefits of recycling which positively impacts the world we live in. It is important not only to us but also to the environment and the economy.

The amount of waste we create is increasing because of the following reasons

In order to keep ourselves, our environment and our economy safe, we must take steps to reduce, reuse, and recycle waste. In this post, we’ll focus on the positive effects of recycling on our environment and economy.

Environmental Benefits of Recycling

Benefits of Recycling to the Environment

Benefits of Recycling to People

Importance of Recycling

Conserves Resources

In 2017, the Global Recycling Foundation reported that we use a year’s worth of natural resources in just 7 months. New products are made by extracting raw materials through mining and cutting trees. Recycling helps conserve important raw materials for the future.

LessIsMore.org stated the positive impact of recycling on conserving natural resources:

Saves Energy

When recycled materials are used in the manufacturing process, the amount of energy used is comparatively less. The following recycled materials, if used, can save a significant amount of energy:

Helps Protect the Environment

In order to manufacture new products, raw materials need to be extracted, refined, and processed. This causes air and water pollution, and the greenhouse gases emitted during the process cause global warming. Recycling reduces the need for raw materials, thus reducing pollution. It also saves energy that reduces the greenhouse gases released, thereby helps in tackling climate change.

Reduces Landfill

The EPA estimates that Americans recycle 34% of the waste they create and landfill the remaining 66%.When we recycle, less amount of waste is sent to the landfill.

An EPA fact sheet from 2014 states that the materials present in the landfills can be easily recycled or composted: paper and paperboard (14%); rubber, leather, and textiles (10%); food waste (21%), and plastic (18%).

Saves Money

Recycling and using recycled products will help you save money. For example, you can recycle vegetable and fruit waste, grass, and leaves to make compost. Additionally, you can sell your recyclable waste to recycling companies. This means recycling can definitely put some money in your pockets.

Cleans the Oceans

8 million metric tons of plastic ends up in the ocean and hurt marine wildlife every year. Recycling helps prevent plastic products from ending up in the ocean.

Saves the Natural Habitats

Trees are destroyed to make paper, and this not only reduces the oxygen in the atmosphere but also eliminates natural habitats. When recycled materials are used to make new products, it reduces the need to cut down trees and consume natural resources, thus preserving natural habitats.

Economic Benefits of Recycling

  1. Creates Jobs

    Recycling creates several job opportunities in any community. A number of people can find jobs in the recycling sector and in places where recycled products and recycling-related materials are produced. This sector is ripe with work opportunities for middle-class people and those with limited education. Jobs in recycling are also known as green jobs due to the positive impact they have on the environment. Green jobs are essential for our economy and have an equally significant hand in making our planet a better place to live in.

  2. Supports the Local Community

    When materials are recycled locally, it means more jobs for people who are paid to process recycled materials. This boosts your local economy and creates a better future for all. Your recycling efforts also create new businesses like collection, transportation, processing, manufacturing, packaging, and selling of recycled products, paving the way for a greener future.

  3. Raises Overall Environmental Consciousness

    Even if one homeowner starts recycling and eventually graduates to composting or using alternative energy by installing solar panels, etc., the others may follow his/her lead. This will eventually raise the overall environmental consciousness. You can offer to pick up recyclables on the curbside. It may seem like a small step, but eventually, it will add up to something substantial and have a positive effect on the environment.

Do Your Part and Give Back to the Community

Look out for unnecessary packaging when you buy products. If you think that there is unnecessary packaging, contact the manufacturer and tell them about it. This suggestion may go a long way in how economically and efficiently the packaging is done in the future.

Try to make recycling a part of your daily life. Every time you throw something, be sure to check if it can be recycled or reused.

Exit mobile version