World Environment Day – the day when it’s not rare seeing pictures of people planting seeds on social media. But are we conscious of our everyday responsibilities towards the environment? Our needs are slowly outgrowing the capabilities of our environment. And the only thing we should know at this moment is what can be recycled and how to recycle. This World’s Environment Day let’s understand why effective waste management is paramount to our sustenance and surroundings.
Advantages of recycling
Preserves Natural Resources – Earth’s natural resources are limited, and recycling is the only recourse to create a sustainable environment for us and for our future generations. Let’s have a look at these eye-opening facts that that call for the need of recycling:
1. 94% of the natural resources used by Americans are non-renewable.
2. According to the World Wide Fund for Nature, paper pulp accounts for 40% of the use of world’s timber.
3. According to the University of Southern Indiana, the amount of Aluminum discarded each year is enough to rebuild the US commercial air fleet four times over.
Recycling used goods stops the exploitation of new resources. For example, paper recycling leads to cutting down fewer trees. Also, recycling electronics and aluminum decreases the demand for aluminum mining and saves millions of mineral ores.
Reduces the Use of Landfills – Dumping waste in landfills is convenient but little do we know that landfills pollute the environment by emitting toxic gases such as methane from combustion. Recycling discards careless waste disposal techniques and make the earth a better place to live in.
Effects of Recycling –
1. Recycling household waste, paper, cardboard, and other waste not only decreases the use of garbage bags but also conserves airspace and extends the lifespan of landfills.
2. Using commercial trash compactors and recycling equipment to compress and recycle industrial waste reduces toxic gases in the environment emitted from incineration.
3. Reducing the use of landfills reduces the generation of methane gas that contributes to the greenhouse effect.
Preserves Energy – Huge amounts of energy is consumed to mine raw materials. And the amounts of energy consumed in extraction and processing is even more staggering. Recycling encourages the use of recycled goods instead of new ones. This results in lower energy consumption in the production of new goods.
Advantages of Recycling in Preserving Energy:
1. Aluminum recycling saves 94% of the energy consumed to produce new aluminum.
2. Glass recycling requires only 10-15% of the energy used in manufacturing it from scratch.
3. Plastic recycling saves 60% of the energy to produce plastic from scratch.
Decreases Pollution – According to the Environmental Protection Agency, 42% of the US’s greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions arise due to transport, production, processing, and garbage disposal. Recycled materials reduce the use of virgin resources. This decreases the need for combusting fossil fuels, resulting in decreased emission of GHG.
Recycling shouldn’t be a resort; it should be a choice. Let’s spread awareness and encourage recycling of used goods to create a sustainable environment for ourselves and our future generations.
Northern California Compactors Inc. offers installation and support services for waste recycling equipment such as trash compactors, balers, shredders & conveyor systems. Established in 1981, it offers waste management solutions across the United States.