Recycling is a sustainability practice of processing waste or thrown away materials to convert them into new products or raw materials. Here is the Recycling Chart for the complete understanding.
- It reduces the waste which goes to landfills and incinerators.
- Recycling helps in conserving natural resources.
- The domestic sources of materials are tapped within the country. Thus it helps in economic growth as well.
- It reduces pollution by recycling the old material and decreasing the manufacturing of new materials.
- It is energy efficient and sustainable.
- Recycling prevents essential resources and helps manufacturing industry in America.
- The recycling industry of the USA creates a lot of jobs every year.
Read Also: How Does Recycling Save Energy?
Jobs Created by Recycling Industry
- According to the findings of EPA and REI, recycle and reuse practices created 681000 jobs.
- This industry also generated $37.8 billion in wages; and tax revenue of $5.5 billion.
- The above data means that 1.17 jobs were created for every 1000 tons of recycling of materials.
- For every ton of recycling, wages of $65.23 are distributed, and $9.42 received as tax money.
The Recycling Chart
Decode Your Plastics
|Symbol||Type of Plastic||Usage||Safety Feature||
|PETE or PET (Polyethylene Terephthalate)||Clear cases and bottles. For instance, disposable water bottles||Mostly Safe||For making tote bags, carpet, polar fleece, etc.|
|2||HDPE (High-density Polyethylene)||Opaque bottles like cleaning products bottles and cereal box liners||Mostly Safe||For making tote bags, carpet, polar fleece, etc|
|3||V or PVC (Vinyl)||Works as hard plastic in PVC piping, cooking oil bottles, and toys||Toxic material||For making speed bumps, decks, gutter, panelling, etc|
|4||LDPE (Low-density Polyethylene)||Malleable plastic for making shopping bags and bread bags, which can be squeezed easily||Not safe when heated or micro-waved||For making floor tiles, compost bins, shipping envelop, etc|
|5||PP (Polypropylene)||Easily colored and hard material used for yogurt tubs, plastic furniture, ketchup bottles, and plastic bottle caps||The Safest Plastic||For making bicycle racks, brooms, ice scrapers, etc|
|6||PS (Polystyrene)||In egg cartons, disposable cutlery, and meat trays||Harmful and toxic||Can’t be recycled easily but sometimes can be used in certain kind of packing material|
|This category is for dangerous BPA-containing plastic. These materials are denoted with numbers 7, 5, and 3, used in phones and computer cases||Avoidable||
It can’t be recycled easily but sometimes can be used in plastic lumber
Recycling No-Brainers – What Can be Recycled!
Non-Recyclable – What Not to Recycle!
* Recyclable at places
Special Treatment for Recycling
Tetra-packs, Tupperware, Baby Food Squeeze Packs, Etc.
These items might not be allowed by the municipality to recycle. But you can approach the Terracycle. It is an organization based in New Jersey that helps in recycling hard to recycle items like these.
They are made up of organic material and plastic. They are also hard to recycle. Brita filter recycling program might help in recycling water filters.
There are drop-off stores where you can leave electronic appliances. Apple also provides gift cards in exchange for old electronic equipment.
It contains mercury which should not go to waste in landfill. Many hardware stores collect old light bulbs for recycling.
The chemicals used in batteries are too dangerous to throw in the landfill. There are recycling boxes at the library and school where you can dispose of small batteries. Car batteries can be returned to the store from where you bought them.
Find out a nearby Recork drop-off. They make shoe soles out of wine corks.
- Recycling is good for the environment and human well-being.
- It is not done correctly in the USA because of a lack of awareness between citizens.
- The current USA recycling level is 32%, according to EPA.
- If people of the USA can take the recycling level to 75%, it will be equivalent to removing the pollution generated by 55 million cars each year.
- 75% recycling level will also generate 1.5 million jobs in the USA.
- Recycling is beneficial for the manufacturing industry. But it depends upon the combined efforts of the nation.
- Recycling activities should get the non-profit standardized label to encourage society.
Common Recycling Myths
- People believe that containers and jars need to be super clean before giving them for recycling. But you only need to clean them enough to not leave any food particles in them.
- There is a myth that you can throw all kinds of waste in there, and the professionals will sort it out. By mixing different materials in a single bin, you slow down the process and risk contamination.
- Another myth is all kinds of glass can be recyclable. It’s not true. You need to check with authorities before giving away your glass bottles and jars.
- People also believe they recycle enough. But the data doesn’t show that. USA citizens need to do more hard work.
- The Mobius sign is not the guarantee of recyclable material as widely believed.